6 HENRIETTA STREET DUBLIN [DOORS OF DUBLIN OCTOBER 2017]
This house was built by Nathaniel Clements for Henry, 8th Earl of Thomond, leased to Brabazon Ponsonby, 1st Earl of Bessborough and remodelled and divided in the 1830s. The interior retains some panelled rooms from the original scheme in addition to some elaborate plaster ceilings. Originally it formed the west half of the largest house on the street, and the current configuration adds to the evolving nature of the street and thus an important part of this remarkable early Georgian streetscape.
Laid out by Luke Gardiner in the 1720s, Henrietta Street is a short cul-de-sac containing the finest early Georgian houses in the city, and was named after Henrietta Crofts, the third wife of Charles Paulet, 2nd Duke of Bolton and Lord Lieutenant in 1717-21. The street developed in a piecemeal fashion and set the trends of scale and design in domestic architecture.