Cork City has been very slow to redevelop the docklands area but now there is some sign of progress.
Albert Quay was named for Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria. Victoria and Albert visited Cork city on 3 August 1849. A section of the quay has been renamed Terence MacSwiney Quay in honour of Terence MacSwiney, a former Lord Mayor of Cork, who died after a prolonged hunger strike in Brixton Prison in 1920 during the War of Independence. Victoria and Albert had arrived at Cove [now spelled Cobh] on 2 August 1849 on board the royal yacht named, appropriately enough, The Victoria and Albert. Cove, as it was then called, was renamed Queenstown in honour of the visit.
During its 400 year history, Kennedy Quay and its associated docklands have been the seat of commerce and trade for the City of Cork however the area has been in decline for many years.
Kennedy Quay still operates commercially and has a number of interesting features including a number of old buildings but there has been a lot of demolition work in the area since I first visited ten years ago.
One of the key landowners in Cork Docklands, Origin Enterprises owns close to thirty acres of land on Cork’s south docks and demolition has taken place of their silos on Kennedy Quay by the R&H Hall building. Origin Enterprises, a subsidiary of convenience food group IAWS, has recently submitted a plan for a major retail and residential development of the docklands area of Cork.
In March 2017 the Government announced that three major housing developments in Cork City will benefit from combined State support of €25.89 million through the Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund (LIHAF). According to the press release - “The new funding will catalyse the development of three sites: a 600 unit suburban greenfield site at the Old Whitechurch Road; the former “Atlantic Quarter” site on the former Ford Depot site on Centre Park Road; and the R & H Hall site on Kennedy Quay.”