WESTERN WAY [CONNECTING CONSTITUTION HILL TO MOUNTJOY STREET]
There is an old lodge on Western way dating from 1881 however it is unused.
In 1877, the Midland Great Western Railway (MGWR) were given permission to close 150 yards of the canal branch line and to construct a new forecourt for the Broadstone station. The new approach road, Western Way, was built by way of Foster aqueduct, with Saint Mary's Chapel of Ease, or The Black Church, as its eastern focal point on Mountjoy Street. The road curves around the former site of Palmerston House at the south-west corner on Dominick Street Upper.
The 1907 Ordnance Survey map appears to show gates across the Western Way, and a corresponding gate pier across the road, and evidence of fixings on the outer face of one of the piers beside the lodge, would appear to corroborate that the Western Way was once closed off by gates or railings, with access regulated by the inhabitant of the gate lodge. Despite its poor condition, it retains much character and fabric, and its careful design and modest size is emblematic of gate lodge architecture.