Sandstone. Large foliated bowl approx 1.4m in diameter and approx 2m high with console supports to base at four cardinal points.
FOUNTAIN IN ST. PATRICK'S PARK
PHOTOGRAPHED BY WILLIAM MURPHY
Due to the formal layout and strong inter-visibility of the park with the surrounding streets, the park’s character is closely linked with its built surroundings. The Iveagh Trust Building (1901) and the Iveagh Play Centre of 1913 in Bull Alley Street to the north and St. Patrick’s Cathedral, immediately adjoining to the south, are highly attractive and form a key part of the park’s original setting. Unfortunately, unsympathetic and ill-judged modern apartment developments on the east and west sides of the park do little to acknowledge or contribute to the substantial efforts made in the early 1900s to improve the area. The park itself is currently well-maintained, having been refurbished in 1988 when new seating was introduced and plaques placed in the niches under the terrace to honour various Irish literary figures. An area underneath the terrace was reputedly once used as an air-raid shelter and for storage.