Rathgar, originally a village, from 1862 part of the township Rathmines and Rathgar, in 1930 became a suburb of Dublin. It lies about 3 kilometres south of the city centre.
Rathgar is situated in south Dublin. It lies beside Rathmines, Terenure, Dartry and Harold's Cross. Other nearby suburbs are Ranelagh, Rathfarnham, Milltown, Kimmage and Crumlin. The Grand Canal flows to the north of Rathgar. The majority of Rathgar lies within the jurisdiction of Dublin City Council and straddles the postal boundary of Dublin 6.
Rathgar is a largely residential suburb with amenities that include primary and secondary schools, nursing homes, child-care and sports facilities, and public transport to the city centre. The housing stock largely comprises red-brick late Georgian and Victorian era terraces and much of the area lies within an architectural conservation zone.Dodder Park is located in Rathgar.
One of the main schools in the area is The High School, Dublin, which moved to the area from its original location on Harcourt Street in 1971. The High School follows a liberal Anglican heritage, but also has students of Jewish heritage. Other schools include Stratford College on Zion Road, which was founded in the 1950s by members of the Jewish Community in Dublin. St Louis High School in nearby Rathmines was opened in 1913 and provides education for girls. It is a member of Le Chéile Catholic School Trust. St Mary's College, which provides education for boys, have sports facilities in Kenilworth Square, Rathgar. The rest of the school is in Rathmines. Rathgar is also the home of a school called Rathgar Junior School.
Rathgar has a number of retail outlets, including a small Supervalu supermarket, and several restaurants.