DRIMNAGH AREA OF DUBLIN

DRIMNAGH AREA OF DUBLIN



Drimnagh was farmland until the mid-1930s, when some of the first tenement clearances brought city centre residents from one-room hovels to semi-detached houses in a series of roads named after the mountain ranges of Ireland. The suburb consists of one area close to Drimnagh Castle/Lansdowne Valley, with three-bedroom private housing built by Associated Properties, and another area built by Dublin Corporation (the larger part) consisting of two bedroom 'Parlour Houses' bordering on the Grand Canal and Crumlin. The two areas meet at the parish church, the Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel in the centre of Drimnagh, built in 1943.