ENTRANCE FROM THE RIVER LIFFEY

GRAND CANAL DOCK AREA

Custom Search

THE THREE LOCK GATES

Westmoreland, Buckingham and Camden Locks built in 1796 which act as the entrance from the River Liffey to the Grand Canal, and the original lock-keeper's cottage at Britain Quay, have been declared heritage structures.

The Grand Canal Dock opened in 1796 and originally there were three graving docks used for ship repair. Grand Canal Dock failed as a commercial enterprise because regular and frequent silting at the dock entrance by the Dodder.Also, the dock gates, constructed before steam was fully adopted in navigation, were too narrow to allow steam-vessels to enter.
  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 001

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 001

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 002

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 002

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 003

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 003

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 004

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 004

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 005

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 005

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 006

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 006

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 007

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 007

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 008

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 008

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 009

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 009

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 010

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 010

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 011

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 011

  •  THE THREE LOCK GATES 012

    THE THREE LOCK GATES 012