The foundation stone of the present Gothic Church was laid on August 28th, 1855. James Hardiman was himself deeply involved in the project; indeed it was he who laid the foundation stone. Galway limestone, quarried from Angliham and Menlo quarries about two miles outside the city, was used in its construction. The church took four years to complete and its doors were first opened for public worship on September 4th, 1859.
The High Altar was erected in 1934 from a bequest of £7000, given by the mother of a Fr. Guiney O.S.A. from Athlone. Carved on the left panel as you face the altar is a scene from the life of St. Augustine. The death of Augustine's mother, Saint Monica, is depicted on the right panel. The oak panel surrounding the High Altar dates from 1855. The tabernacle dates from 1969. The mosaic on the floor of the sanctuary is the Augustinian crest, which can also be seen on the floor of the entrance hallway. The altar rails were presented to the church by George Comyns Davenport and family, Rosshill, Co. Galway in the late 1920s.
In the course of the 1970s renovations, the original window over the main altar was replaced by the stained glass representation of the Resurrection. The artist was one George Walsh from Dublin who completed the work in August, 1968.