WOLFE TONE AT THE MERRION ROW CORNER OF STEPHENS GREEN

LOCALLY KNOWN AS TONEHENGE

Custom Search

WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY

At the Merrion Row corner of St. Stephen's Green you will find a bronze statue of Theobald Wolfe Tone, the leader of the 1798 rebellion. Flanked by monoliths, it was immediately nicknamed 'Tonehenge' by the local population.

In 1964 the architect Noel Keating and the sculptor Eddie Delaney won a competition to create the Wolfe Tone monument at the corner of St Stephen’s Green. That year Delaney was selected to make the Thomas Davis memorial on College Green.

Tone stands in alone in front of a collection of granite monoliths, which prompted the nickname Tonehenge. It should be noted that there is companion piece, the Famine Memorial, located just behind the granite pillars.
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY  001
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY 001
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY  002
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY 002
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY  003
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY 003
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY  004
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY 004
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY  005
STATUE THOEBALD WOLFE TONE BY NOEL KEATING AND EDDIE DELANEY 005