A former Roman Catholic chapel over raised basement associated with Saint Joseph's convent school and orphanage to north, built 1900.
According to the street sign on this building the laneway is Wellington Place North [incorrectly named on Google Maps as Upper Wellington Street].
This former chapel is one amongst a cluster of associated buildings accommodating former schools and an orphanage.
The chapel was designed by William Henry Byrne, and built 1900, attached to the south of Saint Joseph's Female Orphanage (built 1865).
William Henry Byrne is particularly associated with Catholic church architecture and was architect to the Catholic dioceses of Killala, Ossory, Tuam, and Achonry and to the Sisters of Charity in Ireland, who ran the Mater, St Vincent's and Temple Street hospitals nearby.
The high altar was executed by Edmund Sharp, a Dublin based sculptor who carried out many ecclesiastical projects for W.H. Byrne.
Its recent adaptation c.1990 to a restaurant for the adjoining youth hostel has maintained much of its character and contains early internal fittings and fabric. Together this cluster of buildings have an important social significance in the local area as a repository of memory for local women who attended the primary and secondary schools until they closed c.1985. The glazed porch and tiling add interest to the interior of the chapel and are characteristic of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.