Saint Mary's Catholic Church is a fine and imposing building of social interest as the ecclesiastical centre for the Catholic population in the locality.
Built almost immediately following Catholic Emancipation in 1829, the church is somewhat typical of the churches built in that period with a confident primary front of considerable ornamentation in contrast to the treatment of the remainder of the walls that are simpler in form and appearance.
The church has been very well maintained over the years and retains many important early or original salient features, including slate roofs with cast-iron rainwater goods. The cut-stone work to the elevation to south-west is a good example of the high quality of stone masonry practised in the locality and this is especially evident in the carved detailing, such as the doorcase, that has retained a crisp intricacy. The interior is similarly intact and incorporates features of considerable artistic merit, including delicate stained glass windows, a fine plasterwork ceiling, and an ornate carved timber reredos to the altar. Set in its own grounds, the church is fronted by a simple gateway that again reveals high craftsmanship, together with early examples of iron work. Saint Mary's Catholic Church is a prominent landmark in the locality, forming an imposing feature on the streetscape of Mill Street, and is identified in the landscape by the soaring tower that also provides incident to the skyline.