A site for a new church was bought at Broomwood, Monkstown, from the family of James Doherty. Two of the finest windows in the church are dedicated to the memory of the Doherty family. In 1861, the foundation stone for the present church was laid and was dedicated to St Patrick. It was the last of 5 churches commissioned by the same parish priest, Canon Sheridan, in the parish of Kingstown, but he died before completion. The new Parish Priest decided to change the plans, and commissioned George Ashlin to draw up new plans. The builder was Michael Meade. The tender price, excluding the spire, was £5,750.