Great Denmark Street in Dublin leads to Mountjoy Square and is crossed by Temple/Hill Street, and is part of Gardiner's Row. The area was largely a semi-rural area until the 1770s, when a number of townhouses were built for the landed gentry. The street was probably named after the sister of George III in 1775.
Dillon Cosgrave mentions in his book North Dublin, City and County that there was once a private school situated at No. 2 which was run by Reverend George Wright and attended by Charles Lever, the novelist, and that the school were fierce competitors of another private school at Grenville Street. At No.3 was the home of the notorious judge John Toler, 1st Earl of Norbury, known as "The Hanging Judge". It is now the home of several art and cultural organisations such as Fishamble: The New Play Company, and the Olivier Cornet Gallery. One of the most notable landmarks on the street is Belvedere House. It was built as a townhouse in 1775 for George Rochfort, 2nd Earl of Belvedere at a cost of £24,000. In 1841 it became a Jesuit college. It is allegedly haunted by the ghost of Rochfort's mother, Mary Molesworth, 1st Lady of Belvedere, who died there.The O'Reilly Theatre is situated on Great Denmark Street.