The sculpture was commissioned in 2013 to celebrate the life and work of Ernest T.S. Walton (1903-95), Nobel Laureate for Physics, and former graduate and professor at Trinity College Dublin. Walton was the physicist who famously collaborated with John Cockcroft in Cambridge to ‘split the atom’ in 1932. It was the first time that Einstein’s E=mc2 was verified directly in a nuclear reaction. The pair were subsequently awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1951.