GRANGEGORMAN AREA OF DUBLIN

DUBLIN STREET IMAGES

Custom Search
GRANGEGORMAN AREA OF DUBLIN

SORRY FOR THE DELAY
Grangegorman is a suburb of Dublin, Ireland, situated on the Northside of the city, in the administrative area of Dublin City Council. It is also a civil parish in the historical barony of Dublin. It is best known as the location of St. Brendan's Hospital which was historically the main psychiatric hospital serving the greater Dublin region. Along with Stoneybatter and Glassmanogue, Grangegorman was recorded in 1610 as one of only three remote villages in this region and at that stage, lying north of Ostman town and north of the River Liffey they were not joined to the city of Dublin. The area is currently the subject of a major redevelopment plan under the aegis of the Grangegorman Development Agency.
Grangegorman is located in the Dublin 7 postal district. North of the River Liffey and about 1 km from Dublin city centre, its boundaries run along Brunswick Street North, Prussia Street and Manor Street, the North Circular Road and Phibsborough Road and Constitution Hill. Grangegorman is surrounded to the south east by Smithfield to the west by Stoneybatter, north by Cabra, to the north and east by Phibsborough / Broadstone.

The geographical definition of the north Dublin electoral division known as Arran Quay B, encompasses Grangegorman. The 2006 Census gives the population of Arran Quay B as 3692. This represents a 19.5 per cent increase from the population of the area in 2002.